It’s often said that international adoption is like a roller coaster ride…soaring highs and gut dropping lows, always another twist or turn ahead. I can fully attest to that being a painstakingly accurate analogy.
We’re currently on a painful downward slope. It has taken me quite some time to wrap my brain around what may happen from here. Brief synopsis: at the end of May we were told to prepare to travel in late July for court. The last week of June we were informed that adoptions are suspended in Ghana and to postpone any travel plans. Here we sit in July, when we should have been packing our bags to fly to Africa, but instead we are anxiously awaiting ANY information as to when we might be able to go to court & have our children declared legally ours forever.
Our agency sent the very alarmist email about the adoption suspensions based upon information from their in-country coordinator. This email indicated that Ghana may begin enforcing a 3 month residency requirement for adoptive families BEFORE they are cleared to attend court. Of course, if you have your children living with you for 3 months, can you really send them back to an orphanage for 3 more months while their US visas get processed? I couldn’t. Therefore the 3 month residency would become more like a 6 month residency before we could actually bring our children home!
Other agencies working in Ghana, as well as Ghanaian orphanage workers & social welfare workers are all adamant that the issues are in only one region (province) of Ghana. They are only delays…NOT a suspension and has NOTHING to do with residency!
Because our children are in an orphanage in a region other than the one effected by these delays, we are fervently praying that our in-country coordinator will submit our documentation to court in their region of residence instead of the capital region where the delays are. Only time will tell if he actually does so.
We’re holding onto the hope that this truly is NOT a residency issue, as 6 months away from Sam would be terribly difficult for the girls & I. However, we have discussed it and prayed about it and we would absolutely do it. The girls & I would fly over as soon as we got our Ghanaian visas. We would take custody of our little Ghanaian angels immediately and I would be a single mom of 4 kids in Ghana except when Sam would fly over for court. Certainly not ideal, but if this is how is has to be, then we will make it work. Hopefully the residency will NOT become an issue and we’ll be able to complete this adoption in 2 short (1-2 week) trips to Ghana as originally planned.
We know God has predestined these 2 beautiful children to be ours, just has He did Ivy & Mya. We trust that He has orchestrated the perfect timing for them to come home and the path that must be taken to get them here. We are eager for that day to come and ask you to please pray with us that it will happen soon. Thanks!
“Sovereign LORD, you are God! Your covenant is trustworthy, and you have promised these good things to your servant. Now be pleased to bless the house of your servant, that it may continue forever in your sight; for you, Sovereign LORD, have spoken, and with your blessing the house of your servant will be blessed forever.” ~2 Samuel 7:28-29